• Page:

TOPIC: looking for an engine

looking for an engine 5 years 11 months ago #135959

• Ike
  • Ike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
The engine on my 72 Sea Ray 190 SRV, decided to go to the big junk yard in the sky. (it was only 46 years old) So I am looking for a replacement, a used but running Mercruiser 165 4.1L inline 6. (the GM 250 in disguise) If I can find one here in the Pacific Northwest I can pick it up. Washington, Oregon, Idaho??, or even British Columbia Meanwhile I'm just using my kicker motor to go fishing.

If anyone of you hear of anything please post it here or send me a PM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

looking for an engine 5 years 11 months ago #136013

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Sorry to hear... you have a great boat! Have you checked out Jasper Engines? Google them. They are a big time motor re-manufacturer from Jasper, Indiana that has a nation wide distribution/installer network and they have marine engines. Yes, they are likely more expensive than finding a good runner out there, but the up side is you get a warranty. I just put a Jeep motor in last fall. 6 cylinder with 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I will be doing a Mustang motor and transmission with them in the spring... lots cheaper than buying 2 replacement vehicles. Got my motor within about 3-4 days. I did my own install. Just enter your zip code to find a dealer near you if interested. Maybe this is an option. Of course if you found a good local engine for a quarter the price would be great. That boat is too nice not get it back on the water. Whatever you decide, good luck. I have a 1966 160SRV to restore someday and your boat was my inspiration!

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 5 years 11 months ago #136104

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the tip. The problem here is simply cost. Yes a remanufactured engine would be better but the price is more than the boat is worth and more than I''ve got to spend on it. I've already sunk a lot of money into the boat renovating it. More than I will ever recover if I sell it. I have done most of the work myself. I had a pro service the drive, and go over the engine. That was 10 years ago. Anyway, I am retired, and my pockets are not very deep so I'll keep looking for a running engine.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 5 years 11 months ago #136113

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I hear you regarding price realated to value of boat. I am no mechanic, so I am not smart enough to rebuild a motor. Would be great if you could find a running doner in a boat that was beyond repair due to storm damage or rotting hull beyond repair... or just an inexpensive donor. I wish you luck. Seems like there would be a donor somewhere near the Great Lakes, but that is far for you. Sure hope you can save that boat since it looks so good after all the work you did!

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 5 years 10 months ago #136190

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I know this is going to sound like whining but i don't want to rebuild the engine. I am surely capable, I've rebuilt engines before. But I am not getting any younger. I don't have a place to do it, and I think my lovely wife of 50 years would bolt the door(with me on the outside) if I said I was going to do that. Yeah, since I am retired Coast Guard I could use the engine shop at Fort lewis, but again when I got home I think I would be locked out. She has seen me work on far too many cars and boats over the years. And, I would probably end up hurting myself. I have already done that a couple of times working on this boat, one of which put me in the ER. The third would be the last straw. So I'll find an engine and have the guy at the marine repair drop it in and hook it up. Safer in every way.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 5 years 10 months ago #136192

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I hear you and totally understandable. Sounds like words of wisdom. Do you have any places close to you that auction donated boats? We often see boats of all conditions auction for very fair pricing. Some may have a good motor with rotting boats. I am too far away to help you. Does everyone here know what years your motor was made? Maybe that will jog the memory of someone to give you a tip about an available donor in your area. Again- good luck and understand your plight. I am not getting younger either, so thinking of giving up other hobbies to allow more time for boating.

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137862

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Just a quick update. I found a Mercruiser 165 in Oregon that is in pretty good condition considering it's age. The owner bought a 1978 Fiberform and decided to convert it to outboards. So he sold the engine to me. It is now being installed in my 1972 Sea Ray. So by Spring I should have a working engine again.

I paid $300.00 for it. The two trips to OR and rental of a pickup cost me about $300 total. So now just labor cost to install it. But it will still be a lot less expensive that buying a long block or a re-manufactured engine.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137869

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Glad to hear that you will be able to get your restored Sea Ray back on the water. I always like hearing the successes of determination and persistence paying off. Wishing you good luck going forward.

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137871

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The only drawback is I won't be able to get it in the water until April. But I'm a patient man.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137883

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
April??? Where Dr. Go and I hail from there would still be some ice on the water :(

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137884

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Like 63 Sabre said...in May of 2018, they were still ice fishing on a few feet of ice and we don’t even live in Canada like our robust neighbors to the north. We have to be ready to go upon ice out. The bright side is that the cold waters will refresh a person on a 90 to 100 degree summer day. I will be fogging the engines this weekend and changing lower unit fluids. Time to get garage in order for some winter production. Just think about it Ike... you have cleared a big hurdle finding that motor. The first boat launch of 2019 will be that much sweeter knowing you saved your rig!

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137888

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here in Western Washington you can going boating year round if you can put up with the rain and a lot of people do. However, I keep my boat at the Army's marina on American Lake. They close the marina from October to April so I usually pull the boat out and put it in storage. But there is a launch ramp and I could put it in and take it out but my wife would probably have physical issues with that. Far easier to use my 12 foot rowboat or fish from the shore or the fishing docks. Besides I don't care much for fishing in the rain anymore. When I was a lot younger, yes! But not now. The fish will still be there. The very idea of ice fishing gives me the chills. When I was at the Univ of Mich back in 65 I was invited to do that but I politely declined. Brrrrrrrrr.

PS: in my Coast Guard career I spent some time in Alaska in the winter, and Newfoundland in the winter, and spent a year in Maine. A few years back I spent a winter in Montana (that was actually colder than Alaska). So I have had about as much of cold weather climes as I want. I prefer a milder clime, not to hot not to cold. If I want to experience that I can just go visit relatives in Eastern Washington. Great fishing over there in the spring and summer.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137889

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark thanks for the reminder to fog. Almost forgot. Frost coming.
Ike, you shoulda gone with the invite for ice fishing. Sometimes you can actually catch a fish, most of the time you hang out and catch bottle bass.
Attachments:

looking for an engine 5 years 5 months ago #137894

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Oh well, missed out on another "chilling" experience. Nice looking fish.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 4 years 11 months ago #139387

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Update on an engine for my 1972 Sea Ray 190SRV.

Last October I contacted a fellow in Oregon who was converting his boat to outboard and wanted to sell his 1978 Mercruiser 165. After checking the engine and running it I purchased it for $300.00. Sounds like a steal? Well it was but then I needed to get it installed. I took it to the marine repair outfit I always use and they installed it, plus overhauled the sterndrive, and a few other odd jobs. The bill was north of 4K. I finally got it back about a week ago and today was the launch. It runs fine, Started right up. It needs some adjustment of idle and the shifter but otherwise it's good.
Attachments:

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 4 years 10 months ago #139463

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have had it out on the lake a couple of times now. Runs well. Backfires when cold. Needs a carb adjustment. When up to normal running temps runs like a new engine. I am also going to exchange the distributor for an electronic breakerless distributor. Otherwise, happy with it. Now I am working on the the boat. Seats need replacing, some trim needs re-finishing, need a new tachometer. I have all the things (except the seats) I need to do these jobs, but it sure cuts into fishing time.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 4 years 10 months ago #139471

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Glad to hear you are back on the water. Your boat was too nice not to get it back out there. I am not a good fisherman, but I have been told by real fishermen that the fish are out in the water if one can find them. Seems like a running boat gives a person a better chance. Maybe just work on the bad weather days and don’t pass up too much fishing. Good luck keeping the project going forward!

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 4 years 10 months ago #139472

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks. I was told yesterday that the Dept of Fish and Wildlife stocked the lake last week with 90,000 rainbows. I should be able to get a few of them.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

looking for an engine 4 years 10 months ago #139473

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Excellent opportunity for a bite! Time to get our licenses so we can fish with Mom. She will be 84 and can out fish me and my wife combined. She will take the 14’ aluminum boat with 15hp out by herself, catch them and clean them all on her own when we don’t have time to join her.

Dr.Go!

looking for an engine 4 years 10 months ago #139474

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Not surprised. I think the old timers knew a lot more than we give them credit for. I like to fish but I'm no great shakes at it. I wish my son were here (he lives on the other coast) The fish practically jump in the boat for him. I taught him and we use the same gear. I don't know what he does different than me but he sure catches fish.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt