Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stringer 800 trim motor

Stringer 800 trim motor 3 years 6 months ago #143353

I am new to boats and boating but i am a pretty good wrench. With that being said i bought a 1979 enterprise boat that has an OMC 800 sterndrive and the electric tilt/trim motor doesnt work. I have read and watched a dozen videos and it doesnt bother me at all to take a motor apart and clean the contacts and stator or rebuild the motor. My problem is that i cant reach the damn thing. Im worried that if i got it out i couldnt put it back because i cant physically reach it. The fuel tank is on the port side and will not come out without the exhaust manifold being removed. My question is "is that the way a shop would do it?" And i want to apologize for being so long winded about this but i got the motor running flawlessly and i want to get it in the water.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stringer 800 trim motor 3 years 6 months ago #143358

1st of all, the motor in the intermediate housing under the left manifold is the TILT motor. You do not trim a stringer by operating the tilt system. A stringer is trimmed by moving the front mount; Either hydraulically if you have Selectrim or manually if not.
Now to answer your question, it's probably easiest to remove the transom seal & work thru the transom.

Stringer 800 trim motor 3 years 6 months ago #143360

Ty for correcting me because i dont want to sound like an idiot. But anyway i got it out by taking the upper exhaust manifold off and the rubber hose connected to it. It is obviously frozen with junk and rust. I know what you are talking about because i read that using it for trimming is going to ruin the bearings and to never have it any other position than all the way down when under power. I was just paranoid for no reason really, i mean i work on motors all the time and it was just a matter of moving what was in the way. Ty for taking the time to write me back.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6903 guests and one member online