Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why are transom modification discouraged?

Why are transom modification discouraged? 12 years 4 months ago #51702

• Rasta
  • Rasta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I don’t know why most boat shops refuse to update an old 1963 outdrive for a more modern one on classic boats.I went to every boat shop in town. With all the run around I’ve decided to do it myself. Seems like an easy enough task.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Why are transom modification discouraged? 12 years 4 months ago #51731

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Probably not the easiest thing to do,considering who they may have doing the work.The transom has to be thoroughly checked out for any signs of rot.If it is suspect or will be compromised by the new cut out for the sterndrive they do not want the liability issues that may follow.The engine coupler and drive shaft have to be perfectly lined up,to prevent issues down the road.New controls may be needed along with electrical hookups for neutral safety cut out relay and TnT.All of this along with a minimum paid worker may make the marina think twice about taking on a job that may haunt them. Most car repair places do not want to swap out a engine that the customer brought in[to save money]. Some of the same reasons along with if the engine does not work or blows up a week later they do not want the potential headache that comes with the job.Knew one shop where cust brght in his engine and it was the same engine that was in his,just a year newer,guess what? Did not match up with tranny and it turned into a nightmare for the shop owner,not the customer.Just my take on your question,good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'