Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard

Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80285

Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard portion of the I/O. It looks like standard cast aluminum to me so can I take off the lower section and fab and shape up another fin and just TIG weld it on? Looks like a piece of cake but thought I had better check before I get something too hot or something. I hate surprises!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Change is Opportunity!

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80491

With no responses I decided to press on so I traced another fin from a good outboard and made a template. I then traced the broken fin edge after cutting it off in straight lines instead of the broke jagged edge. I matched the shape of the good template up to where it fit on the broken fin and traced the broken line onto the template. I then cut a piece 1/4" aluminum the appropriate shape and TIG welded it into place. I did fill the unit with water and used heat fence to keep the heat from moving north too far. A little sanding with the 4" sander and some black rattle can paint it looks like new.

Change is Opportunity!

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80530

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Thats the way to do it. No problem.

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80555

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
We've done hundreds in my shop exactly that way. You should not have any problems.

!

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80568

Similar to how I did mine on my outboard. Only main difference, I drew it up in CAD and waterjet cut it! :)

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80575

I wasn't sure if there was any seals or gaskets I could ruin with the heat but it seems to be OK. I need to take it apart and inspect it as well. It hasn't been in the water since 85 so I'm sure a new impeller at least will be needed. The boat hour meter reads 518 hours. In boat years is that old and well used or ?

Change is Opportunity!

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80605

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
It totally depends on if "someone" left the key on until the battery went dead more than once.

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80622

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Its a 1973. So thats 13 years used, and your in "always summer" county, so 40+ hours a year is nothing. BUT, hour meters say little of maintenance, but in your case that boat was well cared for, so forget about it!

Re:Lower fin is broken off of the Mercruiser outboard 10 years 8 months ago #80642

Thanks guys... Starting to feel much better about this thing with your responses. LOL

I pulled the tanks and cleaned them out. Put new rubber hose on the tanks and sloshed in enough gas to light it off. Hooked up the earmuffs and primed the big arss fuel filter, Put a splash of gas in the carb, cranked a few times and she wanted to light off in the worse way... then nothing. No key action at all. I pulled off the + side of the battery and touched the post of the battery with it and sure enough there was a spark. Tapped the starer and no change then I remembered the solenoid is separate so I tapped the solenoid and guess what... I need to change out the solenoid now. LOL Oh well a small price to pay for sitting for some 28 year waiting for me. LOL

Change is Opportunity!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat