• Page:

TOPIC: So tell me I'm nuts...

So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106034

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a vintage 1958 alum Starcraft Jet Star but need a larger platform for bigger water at the Ozarks. I have always loved wood boats but know NOTHING about them other that the bits I read. So I come across this listing and it just looks so restorable and reasonably priced for what you get. I am trying to convince myself I am nuts. After all it does say the boat leaks, but come on how hard can this be? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106041

peoriaone,

I would be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS about bidding on that wooden boat. - IF I was really interested in it, I would have a complete inspection done by a professional boat appraiser.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106049

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
This is one of the worst ads for selling a boat I've seen. They took all kinds of time and space to tell you about them but they are telling you nothing about the actual condition of the boat other than to say it leaks. I happen to know quite a bit about repairing wooden boats but I would not bid on it until I had a GOOD look at it. Obviously, the sellers know nothing about what they're selling...not even the make. Is it a Thompson? A Penn Yan? They say that the motor doesn't run. Well, a boat needs to float, run and steer. One out of three is not good. I'd only consider you to be nuts if you bought it. Better pass on this one.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106050

Rawhide is a long standing non-profit for troubled teens. I've donated to them twice back in the '90s. I believe their listing will accurate.

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106054

jimandros; Nautilus; All,

I, too, know that RAWHIDE is a charity of longtime service to teens BUT the people who work for the charity seem to know little or nothing about the merchandise that is donated to the organization and the ads that they post reflect that ignorance.

Purchasing anything from the charity should be preceded by a careful inspection of the goods offered for sale.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106055

This boat is a Cruisers Inc. This company was in the Thompson family. The boat itself would be a good big water boat if it was in sound condition. Without a good inspection that is impossible to know. The boats are very restoreable as long as you know what you are in for. It could be simple like my '59 Thompson when I bought it in good shape, or it could be a very big job. If you have good woodworking skills and patience it might be worth it for that price. Wood boats do need more "tender" care in daily use, but they are worth it. Just my opinion. And Rawhide is a good cause and if they are not familiar with wood boats this might be a good deal.
Bill

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106057

I know little about wooden boats but without a least a good look, I just don't know. It does not look like it's been stored outdoors but wood shrinks too. I did look at a wood boat once that leaked badly in the back as I was told. It had no plug in the hole. If it did not have as many structural problems as it did plainly have I may be a wood boat guy now. If you are close I would look. If questionable, I would pass. :unsure: I like wood boats and had to pass a nice one up once. I seen one last year NOT FOR SALE that I liked. I was being used as a yard sale table inside the garage. :ohmy: It had plywood thrown on top the gunwales to make a table. It had not been in the water for years , trailer had rotted flat tires. Tag was old. It sat neglected for some time. What I could see looked great.

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106060

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I have been a member of the Rawhide family since the 80's and can verify that it is an honorable organization. That being said I have purchased about 99% of all my "projects" from them over those years. Keep in mind that they are auctioning off donated boats. Most but not all have signs of trying to be sold at roadside and then when they don't sell they are donated. There are reasons they don't sell and probably include the fact that the motor doesn't run, bad interior etc. Most people want to buy a boat, jump in and go. When you buy from Rawhide the price reflects the condition. Where are you going to find a 21 footer in excellent running condition for less than $500??
Trailers are included, you also have the option of inspecting the boat when you pick it up. If it does not meet your approval you can turn the deal down without question and no money is lost, no bad marks on ebay etc. It's a win for you and them if you are willing to accept the fact that you will have to put some effort in the boat before you launch it.
Over the years I can only remember one boat I bought from them that I had to totally scrap but I did break even on the deal by stripping the bling, motor, controls, and trailer. Sold the scrap alum parts and came out ok.
As a matter of fact I bought my Century Sabre from them.
Attachments:

Re:So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106111

The Ad says it's a "Cruisers" which is exactly what it is - a boat made by Cruisers Inc. of Oconto, WI.

The appearance of the boat in the photos looks very nice. Obviously this rig was not sittinoutside. Look at the vinyl on the deck and seating. Very nice condition.

The floor should be popped open to look at the ribs and keelson.

rawhide will let you inspect the boat prior to the auction. I have done this.

The motor is an electric shift OMC. Some folks hate these. And if the improper gear lube was utilized it may have issues. If the proper gear lube has been used all these years that issue is moot.

Andreas

Re:So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106135

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Cruisers Inc made very nice good quality boats. It is very difficult to assess from these photos, although they are good photos. However as has been said a marine surveyor should take a look at the inside, pull up the sole and look at the inside of the hull. My first reaction to the photo of the interior was, did some idiot think he/she could just hose it down? If the boat has a drain and a plug most of the water will run out but a lot will stay in the hull. Anyway there doesn't appear to be any separation of the planking, or on the transom. I can't see any dark spots that would indicate rot. I read the inspection report below, but it doesn't tell you a lot. Crack in hull could mean a hairline or something you can stuff your fist through.

I will say that the trailer is probably worth the 495. I bought a fiberglass 1972 Searay 190 that way for 400. I could more than likely sell the Trailer (a 1995 EZRider) for more than that. The Searay was in far worse shape that this. I am not familiar with a Sterling Trailer, but if it has survived the winters in Wisconsin it's probably a good one.

But I would definitely get someone who has a lot of experience rebuilding wood boats to look at it first because if you end up having to do a lot of repair on the hull it could get very expensive fast. Fresh paint can hide a lot of sins. However when it was repaired you would really have a classic.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106177

Just wondering if you went for this peoriaone?

Re: So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106180

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Last time I looked there were two bids on it so it was sold. I live 55 miles from Rawhide and if I had the funds I would have bid it up for them. I don't have the room for it either right now. That T&T unit on the old motor was worth the purchase price.

Re:So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106184

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I did not go for it... Mostly because I dont have a place currently to work on it. I did see it had 34 bids and sold for $1434, more than I would have paid without seeing it in person. At the $500 bid price I would have considered buying without seeing since I felt there was no way to lose on that price. Some day.....

Re:So tell me I'm nuts... 9 years 1 month ago #106186

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's a snap of the road leading to Rawhide in New London, WI. Taken last fall when I went to pick up a outboard for my next project. $75 for a '72 Rude 65. Just needed an impeller and cosmetic work.
It is a country setting with horses, animals, bunkhouses and a group of fine young men.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6452 guests and no members online