Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Full sized 3D puzzle

Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128670

Just picked up a 1950 13ft Lyman boat....steering wheel, outboard controls, with two milk crates of wood pieces, hardware, pain, varnish, and loose pieces of long wood pieces all taped together....
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128678

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That looks like an amazing puzzle worth assembly and preservation. Sure do not see those type boats often. It looks like it is in great condition. Enjoy your next project.

Dr.Go!

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128690

Thank You !
I've been looking on and off, since the 90's for one. Every time I saw one that I liked ? It was always too far away, or I was too cash poor, for the price I was willing to pay. The funny part ? I'll be damned that this one was only 3.5 miles from my house ? Go figure ???

I had almost given up one getting one, because Lyman prices, especially the 13 footers have gone thru the roof, and this past spring I decided to get it's cousin.... a 13 foot MFG, because it was modeled after the Lyman.
I paid a lot more than I wanted too for this Lyman, but it's down to finish sanding, paint, varnish and assembly ?.... We've all heard that before ?
So now it will be fun the fix them both, and show them together.
Should make for some interesting conversations ?

I'm not sure this is actually a 1950 ? Because somewhere in that time frame, Lymans still had Mahogany clinker planks ? This one has plywood clinker planks. Also, from pictures I have of it, there was a seat at the bow, with a backrest facing aft. Normal Lymans, I've seen, had the cubby doors with the anchor routed in ?

guess I may have to join the LBOA to get more info ?

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128691

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Now that's a puzzle worth putting together, Chuck...but you'll have make a few modifications. Mount a large fuel tank in the front and build a nice leather seat in the back. You'll also need to install two white oak stringers to support the big block Chevy. Sharks teeth on the bow and flame decals for the aft section would be a nice touch. Don't forget the fuzzy dice.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128715

I'm glad you bought this one because I have really been struggling to resist the urge. Been looking at it on craigs all week.

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128736

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Wow good for you, love those stories. I find the Lyman group most excellent, a lot of those guys do there own work, very knowlegable. I have a MFG although it's a 65 and not really molded from a Lyman but the lineage is there pretty neat story how Lyman said no to glass boats and that's what started M
FG into the boating world.
Good luck! I hesitate to say the hard work is done, none of it comes easy, but it's a good head start.
I think the ply clinker probably in the end is better material where it is much more dimensionally stable.
Keep us posted.
Randy

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128753

Hey Jan, I made the mods, with a few extra goodies ?
What do you think ?

OH and I opted out of fuzzy dice. I hung a set of pick-up truck rubber balls off the stern.
Attachments:

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 5 months ago #128772

Good one Chuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Full sized 3D puzzle 7 years 4 months ago #128977

Love old boats.... but ?
always to good to be true ?
From the pictures given to me.
bunch of wood parts missing, but expected....
Now it's time to do lots of research.... but that's the fun ! and the frustration !

It's all about the restore journey... and the decision to stay true... or alter ?

This one I think need to stay true... with the Nautilus, Waterwings, Saber, Ronny, and Bill's flare !

Yes we are watching and learning from your work !!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6715 guests and one member online