• Page:

TOPIC: I know nothing...

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131092

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
So I have kept my eye on this boat for some time. I have ZERO knowledge of wood boats. The website the boat is listed on seems to be a wood boat restoration company. When I talked to them a year ago I asked when last ran, they said they did not know but its a great boat, very little to do to it, etc.. blah blah.. So having read some posts on wood boats I was always told to get a survey done. I asked them if they knew of a surveyor and they gave me a name. My questions.... If this is a boat restoration place why could they not survey or tell me precisely the condition? Why could they not try and start it? Is the price of 5K crazy? From what the pics and what I see them selling for it seems reasonable, assuming it is not completely dry rot. Opinions?

baylakeclassics.com/1958%20Century%20Coronado.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131098

well when I click one the link it's no longer available. You have valid questions if it's supposed to be a restoration place. $5K and "not much work" usually don't coincide trust me! As long as the engine isn't frozen or the block cracked it's not as bad. You definitely want someone completely familiar with wood boats, especially Century's if possible to look at it. As you've probably seen in my project thread my Century was only $3,500 and "just a couple of cracked bottom planks and a rotted side plank, which turned out to be a pattern boat that I paid way too much for. You really need to check around the transom corners at the bottom both inside and out, notorious for rot, among other things.

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: peoriaone

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131100

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Unbelievable, I wanted that boat for two years and the link worked the day I posted this. Looked now and sure enough no longer listed. Oh well things didn't add up. Sounds like I need to find my woodie close to where you live to check it out for me. Lol. Thanks

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131112

Yeah probably bought by one of the Century club guys, maybe. I'll help where I can. ;)

Bob

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131114

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Here's a nice little dual cockpit Dunphy with an extra motor and a period trailer that's for sale near me. (I have no idea where you are located.) Anyway, they're asking $8,000 and that's probably a little high but as they say, "askin' ain't gettin'." $6,500 seems fair to me, assuming the engine runs. I'd be willing to pay $6.5K for this boat much sooner than I'd pay $5K for the one you were considering. That whole deal sounds shady to me. From what I can see in the photos, she looks good and may be a "dunk and go" situation.

athensga.craigslist.org/boa/5979406427.html

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131139

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
peoriane, I know the manager of baylake classics, and he is a very good guy, I have his phone # e-mail me @ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. and I will give it to ya. they do great work, and they also have a bunch of boats for sale . frog

I know nothing... 7 years 2 weeks ago #131150

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Frog, The boat I was potentially interested in is not longer on their website. My main question was if they are a restoration place why would I need a survey? Can they not tell me exactly what the boat needed. Have ZERO experience with wood boats it scared me off. Thanks for the offer, maybe down the road when I am more serious.

I know nothing... 7 years 1 week ago #131197

Restoration place or not, I would probably want an outside party to survey any boat I was purchasing for a larger amount of money. No matter how good the reputation of the seller I would rather have an evaluation done by someone I was paying for my own piece of mind.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8214 guests and no members online