Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 5 years 8 months ago #136796

• Dan@acbs
  • Dan@acbs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Story and photos by Paul Scorza    My wife...

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 5 years 8 months ago #136797

Nice article on the home page about an avid boater.

Hello, World!!

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 4 years 9 months ago #139913

Thank . very helpful in choosing

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 4 years 8 months ago #139954

good article

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 3 years 4 months ago #143422

Hi my name is Wes and I am a boataholic ! Need to get connected with someone to advise me on how to restore my Srv-190 interior

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 5 months ago #145484

I recently purchased and all already is an all original 1957 glass craft Imperial with I believe a 1957 Mercury mark 78 Tower of Power that I would like to Shine up and get her hummin like it was 1957, Is anybody with any knowledge of the motor or bold I would love to hear All they know I'm located in the Saint Croix river Valley Between Minnesota and Wisconsin If anybody Has some hot tips they'd be willing to share let me know

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 5 months ago #145485

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Boy did you ever come to the right place.
There are experts here, repair guys and wrench turners that specialize in Mercs, OMC, glass repair etc.
Stay tuned. Page down to the Merc threads and you'll see more information than you can absorb and all in understandable terms.
Lots of guys here from the Midwest. Wis, MN, Ill, and a couple youpers for flavor.

welcome aboard

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 5 months ago #145489

Welcome aboard Andy you did come to the right place. Like 63 Sabre said go to the Merc section there's a lot of help there. I would start a new thread their and you'll get a lot of help on there. Great motor by the way.

Bob

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 5 months ago #145498

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Welcome aboard! Good advice from the other guys. If you post motor questions under the specific section, it helps the experts find you. I have received lots of help. Something you should mention when you ask questions is to tell them if you wish to do all work yourself and give them a hint as to how much previous mechanical experience you have in your past that you can draw from. This can help them tailor their answers to your needs. Some choose to find someone who can do certain parts of fixing, tuning, etc. and there are a few around your region that could perhaps help with a repair… and then there are several active Merc professionals that can answer any question I have ever posted…. And many other 2-stroke outboard gurus that can help troubleshoot general outboard problems. They got me on the water so quite confident someone can help. The more clear pictures and explanations you can post, the quicker and easier someone can get to the issues you might have. Good luck. p.s. I am not your expert, but love old boats and I am an expert at posting pictures that are sideways or upside down sometimes.

Dr.Go!

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 3 months ago #145792

Okay I apologize If im in the wrong place, but I just was looking for some info on a boat I purchased this past summer. Its an all fiberglass body, 2 person boat. There are 2 tags on it but the company closed its doors according to a search I did on it. But I thought it was pretty neat and I couldnt pass on the price. But any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Now This isnt the actual boat! But it is the same model. And I do apologize if this is not allowed. But any info would be awesome.
Attachments:

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 3 months ago #145846

I am looking for help in identifying a boat I recently purchased. The boat was built in 1960 and came out of Florida. It has since been totally restored and is a Glassic. I can provide photos if there is an email address that I can send them to.
Thank you!

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 3 months ago #145849

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Just post them here so everybody can see them.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 2 months ago #146050

i am new to the site... currently own a 1969 Cutter with a re-powered 1976 Mercury 1750.. I would like to find out as much information as possible as to the history of my boat. The motor is easy to find information but hard to find any history/info on the boat. will publish pictures shortly

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 2 years 1 month ago #146134

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
And there is no cure for it either lol, the more storage space you have the worse it will be!

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 10 months ago #146621

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I previously owned a 1959 Cruisers Inc 14' runabout, but today I purchased my first fiberglass boat!

It is a 1960's Hydro-Mite.
I have been searching online for more information on how to determine the year and model, however I have not been able to find to much other then some pictures and a picture of an old magazine article.

Should these boats have a VIN somewhere on them?
If so, any suggestions on where to look?
The Registration number on the side indicates it was from Missouri.

The motor was removed as it was sitting in a barn and not sure if it is seized and I need a new one or if it can be repaired. I haven't confirm yet which make it was or the HP.

The boat seems to also be missing a lever to change gear from idle to forward as there seems to be a hole to the left of the steering wheel but nothing is there.

Is there anyone who might have parts or know where to get them?

The gas tank is also missing so that will need to be replaced.
I am guessing a standard outboard gas tank that is secured down would work?

If anyone could help with how to determine the year and model as well as any other info or experience they have had working on Hydro-Mites I would be very appreciative.

I am location just west of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Attached are a few pictures of the boat.
Attachments:

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 10 months ago #146673

New guy here ! first of all thanks for letting me join the group ! I'm right full of questions. I have just bought a Fabuglas boat and need help with the Model and year . The tag reads for the Model # F And the serial # is 68 13802. Cant find any numbers stamped into the hull any where . So i cant get it registered at this time.. HELP !! if you can any infor or directions to help would be really apprated!! Thanks

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 10 months ago #146674

photos of the boat will help alot here.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 10 months ago #146675

Pre 1972 boats were not required to have a hull id number, so there may very well not be any numbers anywhere on the boat.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 7 months ago #146915

Wanted fisher pierce ,bearcat ,homelite outboards or parts looking were the molds or tooling went to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. thanks Dwight

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 7 months ago #146968

I am trying to locate any owners of Famous Craft, Famous Craft by Rinker, Goshen, IN boats. molded plywood from 1950s. please contact me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 7 months ago #147003

Hi everybody, we are trying to find accessories for a 1959 Herter's Flying Fish specifically the Herters emblems for the sides of the boat and glove a compartment cover. If anybody knows of a custom shop that can replicate those items, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 7 months ago #147007

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I really don't recall any emblem on the side of the boat. the '58 had emblems on the fins but not the '59. Therre are some pictures on the net of 58s but are labeled as 59s.
If you are restoring or modifying, I have hundreds of pictures of my rebuild that I can share.
The glove box cover is like hens teeth along with the cigarette pack holder but there are guys here that can help. I don't know if Don is still hanging around here but he's a go to guy for the Herters.
Attachments:

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 6 months ago #147151

Trailorboat

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 6 months ago #147152

Does anyone have any information on a Trailorboat "Monte Carlo" built in 1963? I can't find it listed on Trailorboat's list of models they built.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 5 months ago #147238

I recently listed a 1960 MFG boat for sale on Boat Trader. I indicated it is a 15' "Erie" model MFG boat. I am not certain of this and ask the membership that may be familiar with MFG boats open the Boat Trader listing for my boat and confirm whether it is an Erie or another model. It is identical in design to a 15" Lyman of that vintage and looks as though Lyman was used in its design. Thanks.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 5 months ago #147240

The first MFG boats were made in a mold taken right off a Lyman hull.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 5 months ago #147248

I'm after some letters that say " OWENS'' for my 1961 Owens runabout. Any help would be appreciated.
Doug Routly

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 5 months ago #147250

What is procedure for uploading Brochures?

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 4 months ago #147273

Boats were made in Miami Fl late 60"s only made for a year or two. They were made for the resort industry and rental industry mainly.
they had a 5 1/2 hp Johnson outboard engine converted to a inboard under the hood. the hole you are talking about is for the pull cord, only forward. I had two recently sold them. one was orginial the other I converted to electric by replacing the rudder with a trolling motor. hope this helps
John

I'm looking for information on the Hydro Mite I that I recently purchased. From what I know the boat was a "for-runner" of the jet ski. The motor was an outboard that the drive unit and bottom unit placed in the middle of the boat in a fixed position. Does anyone have information on this boat....

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 3 months ago #147420

I am looking for someone that would have some knowledge on Sea Sprite boats. My title says it is a 1972 14ft with no model type. I would love to understand what model it is. I rebuilt it and I am totally in love with it and just want to understand what I have. Thanks

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 1 month ago #147657

Does anyone know where Glastron would put there serial number on a '68 GT160?
Thanks!

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 1 month ago #147658

Not sure about Glastron, but Hull Identification Numbers were not required by law until 1972. It may not have one.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 4 weeks ago #147678

Terrific article!
I'm from Orange county NY. My love of boating was also born on the Hudson.

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 1 week ago #147734

I'm new to this site. I need help identifying this "yard art" find on a hill near the Clinch River/lake in E. TN. "Starfire" emblem on each side, no hull ID that I can find. 14ft 4 inches long. Port side steering (pully system), 2 seats in front, ?bench seat rear. No outboard motor. Pale blue color with white stripe on top bow, 3 windshield metal pieces, glass missing. 5 or 6 bullet holes above water line. Is this a Wacanda? What year? What kind of motor and hp would have been used. Restorable? Any help appreciated. I have pics if I can figure out how to post.
Attachments:

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 1 week ago #147736

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not much info in the library. Does it have a registration number on the bow area. If so you might be able to trace it through the state.
www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Starfire

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 1 week ago #147737

I contacted the state boat registration agency with the registration /number on the boat but the records only go back 10 years. I posted pictures that appear at bottom of this thread. I reviewed all the library information about Wacanda and I really think it is an a Wacanda made in early 60's. I know the company doesn't exist anymore. I have reviewed everything on this site and iBoats so I'm hoping folks with any information see this. Such a beautiful boat.
Attachments:

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 1 year 5 days ago #147763

Lighting company used on Wacanda boats? I'm stalled on identifying the "art yard" boat "Starfire" I purchased but I haven't given up and want to learn more. The bow light is missing. Does anyone know what kind of lights were used on Wacanda boats? Perko? I've viewed all the pictures of Wacanda boats (late 50's) on this site. Thanks. Shelton

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 11 months 2 weeks ago #147833

Is there anyone out there with information about a 1963 Larson/Brunswick Tahiti Comboard boat?

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 11 months 1 week ago #147862

I am looking at a Dorsett El Dorado, and need help determining the year. There is a number stamped into the metal transom - BD40M461. What does it mean? Dan

Passion for Old Boats can be Addictive and Contagious 10 months 1 week ago #147919

Hi everyone! I have a 78 tri sonic 1900 riviera sst that I'm trying to find a manual for. If anybody can help out I would appreciate it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.866 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)