Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Progress on my Power Cat 14T

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6961

I need 4 5/16 X 1 cap screws for this John. I don't think 1 1/4 or 3/4 would do it. I'll pick them up. I have an astonishing variety of stainless hardware in the shop, just never what I need at the moment.

Thanks for the compliment John, but just be prepared when you see it close up. It only looks good because it hasn't been sanded. Lots of brush marks. but I'm doing what everyone says, just move on and go boating. I'm getting it!

Keep up the good work.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6980

heck frank,mine probably wont look good either close up,im used to a siphon gun,this is going to be my 1st time with hvlp guns,lol

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6988

I betcha it will look better than mine John. Whadya wanna bet? :laugh:

Trim pump install this a.m., or at least a mock-up. Nothing's tight, so it leans a bit, but I think it will work. Now if I could find my splashpan oil tube grommet thing, I'd be all set... (grrrrrrr!)

Don't mind my cut off hose-end - keeps the pump from leaking oil all over my boat!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6991

Wow Frank, raising the transom and splashwell really gave you a lot of room back there. My fuel tanks are on the bottom of the boat in the original risers and don't have as much headroom as yours. You gonna glass in the plywood platform or is that a temporary solution?

Bernie

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6992

Gee Bernie, never really thought about space I would get from installing a 20" transom and building a new splashpan. I've never known anything different, because when I got this boat it was a bare hull and deck, I separated them and never looked back. Huh!

I guess that platform for the tanks is temporary now because I only glassed one side of it, and it has since warped in the rain. Maybe I'll bake it in the sun this weekend and encapsulate it with mat and resin. I will not be glassing it into the boat, I'd rather have it be removable. It's a tight fit, believe me!

Thought you were gonna shoot me a pic of your control box mount? Actually I'd love to see a shot of where and how your seats mount too. I can't figure out what sort of slider/swivel to get I guess until I get the seats. Hopefully order them within the next few days, then figure it out. Gonna order a new prop tonight.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6996

Frank, I am embarrassed about the condition of the boat at the moment due to tree blossoms beginning to fill the sponsons...and my wife has the camera with her at work. I'll try and get it cleaned up and get the camera back this evening. There is nothing special here, just 1/2 inch plywood seat bases and a mount for the controls. No swivels or slides.

Bernie

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #6999

Does the wood mount go over the top of those glassed in seat bases such that it sort of rests on the glass Bernie? What kind of seats do you have? Buckets? Fishing (fold-over and snap)? Home made?

I'm in no rush, this is stuff I'll be doing once the trim is installed and that is a job in and of itself.

Bought a transom saver yesterday, got to do a bit of work on the trailer to mount it.

Lemme see, still gotta seal the front bow (4200 maybe), check the lights on the trailer, buy some USCG safety stuff, find that anchor Brian gave me...

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7003

Found a pic of the control box, can't get it up loaded.....

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7005

Try emailing it to me Bernie - frank dot alguire at gmail dot com.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7007

Here we go.

Ignore the dirt.

Pics are fixed!
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7008

Pretty slick Bernie.

Did you add the floor over the middle hull? I was thinkin about doin that too.

Did you build the console under the middle of the dash?

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7018

Who wha? Whoever fixed them, THANKS!

My center sponson was covered from the factory and full of wet foam that I dug out with a garden shovel. I recovered it and left out the foam.

The console was an idea I got from pictures on the Powercat site of Lynn Grahams boat. Mine doesn't have the 'map pockets' on the sides of the hull so it comes in handy for putting wallets keys etc. in there.

Seat bases were built and seats selected with weight and cash savings in mind.

I gotta mow then I'm cleaning the boat....whew....

Bernie

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7019

I like both the idea of covering the center hull and the console, but I don't want to get waylaid right now.

I am gonna do some glass work maybe tonight right after I order a new prop. I've decided to glass a piece of plywood where I have that aluminum bracket for the trim pump that will go from the plywood I have the bracket attached to, to the floor. It will provide a much more solid and inflexible mount for the pump, and will probably in the final analysis be less work! Maybe I'll deal with that control box location at the same time...

My boat needs to be cleaned too, but that is the last thing I'll do before launch! :P

Thanks for the tips and help Bernie.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7033

Oldskier wrote:

Who wha? Whoever fixed them, THANKS!

My center sponson was covered from the factory and full of wet foam that I dug out with a garden shovel. I recovered it and left out the foam.

The console was an idea I got from pictures on the Powercat site of Lynn Grahams boat. Mine doesn't have the 'map pockets' on the sides of the hull so it comes in handy for putting wallets keys etc. in there.

Seat bases were built and seats selected with weight and cash savings in mind.

I gotta mow then I'm cleaning the boat....whew....

Bernie

Jeez Bernie, I showed those pics to the little woman, and now she wants a middle floor and console! That's okay, she'll get it, just probably not this year.

Ordered new red & white buckets and a new 3 blade 21 pitch prop tonight. Went out and started the old merc up just to hear her run, quit, and gonna take it easy for a change!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7038

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Frank wrote:

Went out and started the old merc up just to hear her run, quit, and gonna take it easy for a change!

I'm proud of you bud, you DESERVE IT!

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7044

The seats are outstanding! Enjoy your time off.

Doug, Got your email, thanks for fixin the pix, What'd I do wrong?

P.S., More karma for you...tried to give you two because 13 just doesn't sound like a karma number...maybe like the old saying, my karma ran over my dogma...but, well it is what it is.

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7045

I didn't get those seats shipped overnight Bernie - 300 bucks for overnight delivery. Usually I get ground stuff in 3-4 days. Long as i get them by a week from tomorrow I'll be happy. I need to build some seat bases anyways. Lots of little details, but she's comin together.

Thanks.

Frank

iboats shipping? 13 years 10 months ago #7309

I got an email yesterday from iboats, where we ordered the prop last Wednesday night. They said my order had been shipped and gave me the ups tracking #. Apparently they don't run trucks on Fridays or Saturdays, as this is what I got this a.m.:

It leaves Des Moines IA about 2 p.m. Thursday and gets to Lenexa KS about 6:20, then leaves at 8:34 P.M. That's all I know. Isn't it weird they don't show it moving either Friday or Saturday?

Bah. :( I need that prop!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7310

• MarkS
Frank, it's still moving, they just don't show updates on the weekends. It'll scan in and out of any and every hub it goes through, sometimes it may be a few days between hubs. You should be able to track for an update Monday. (Finally, something I DO know something about!) ;) You SHOULD get it first part of next week.

I ordered two cable boots ($8.xx ea) from them, took about four days to get to Atlanta.

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7311

Yeah Mark, I know, I'm just impatient! Boat should be ready to splash after a few things get done today.

Enjoy yer day!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7312

• MarkS

Yeah Mark, I know, I'm just impatient!

Don't feel like the lone ranger, my friend. I'm all too familiar with that "character defect", as my wife calls it. Hope you have much success getting everything else wrapped up today, then you'll just have to slip the prop on and go!

Which prop did you order?

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7313

F - You want to borrow my 2 blade stainless, cupped speed prop for your first run? It's not on the 1350 yet, and assume the prop shafts are the same. Just be careful you don't cut yourself! Or....drag it across the cement! :ohmy: B

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7314

Sure. No worry about dragging it across the cement B. Not only did I learn a cheap lesson with that aluminum prop, I now have power tilt and don't have to worry about lifting that motor manually. F

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7315

It's in the shop on top of the cabinet to the right of the door when you go in. Give it a whirl. B

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7316

I don't need it today, I don't think. Hmmm, maybe I do. Bring it over if you come over, we'll see if it fits, and what, drag the boat over to the Hudson?

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7327

Man, details take time. Not gonna get er dun today. Got the wiring done I wanted to do, but now my tach is all over the place. Drat! Got the new battery in, everything else hooked up and working. Got the interior rub rail in too. After lunch I'll put the seats in, figure out where to put the controls, then hide all the wires you see here.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7346

I didn't get around to hiding wires...

Had a little scare tonight. Went out and hooked the truck to the trailer to check lights. Nothing. Turned out it was the 7 pole to 4 pole connector, and I had another one. Everything works, I just need a couple lenses and some liquid electrical tape for the extensions I built in when moving the axle back a notch.

should be ready on or before Memorial Day.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7453

Got the #s & letters on last night, registration stickers, hid wires and in so doing got the splashwell and motor connections looking the way I want, at least for now. Trying to figure out where the best place is to mount the power trim controls. Right of the steering wheel, left, some other place? Ideas welcome as long as they don't entail spending $!

Otherwise, not much left to do. Need to hide some trailer wires, put the trailer fenders on, get a passenger seat in. The nice buckets we ordered are 4-6 weeks out unfortunately. Might not be comfortable, but should be wet by the weekend. Prop should be here today or tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

Frank

Morning mist shot 13 years 10 months ago #7455

Got the fenders on this morning and the trailer wires hid. Trailer is almost ready to roll.

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7456

• MarkS
She's lookin' good, my friend!

Trying to figure out where the best place is to mount the power trim controls. Right of the steering wheel, left, some other place? Ideas welcome as long as they don't entail spending $!

Can you post a pic of your control switch? Think you're going to want to stay on the starboard side, near the throttle. That way you can keep one hand on the wheel adjusting trim while underway to stay safe. Hope your prop shows up today, what did you order?

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7457

Looks great Frank!

Given the size of your steering wheel, making it difficult to reach the dash underway, I'd probably choose to mount that large trim unit on the gunwhale just forward of the controls. Shown in white in the attached image, the locations which would make the most sense to me. For the reasons Mark said, I think that is the best spot.

I'd more likely choose a trim model that is mounted to the steering wheel itself (finger tip controls using left hand while still holding the wheel), but you asked for options without more dollar investment.

Can't wait to see your float test. Good luck!
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7461

MarkS wrote:

She's lookin' good, my friend!

Trying to figure out where the best place is to mount the power trim controls. Right of the steering wheel, left, some other place? Ideas welcome as long as they don't entail spending $!

Can you post a pic of your control switch? Think you're going to want to stay on the starboard side, near the throttle. That way you can keep one hand on the wheel adjusting trim while underway to stay safe. Hope your prop shows up today, what did you order?

Thanks Mark. The control switch is sitting in the seat in the next picture up from the one I took this a.m. It's about 2" X 4" or so. and needs a big hole cut out to mount it. I think it's going to go right behind the idle lever.

I ordered a 3 blade 21 pitch aluminum blade to start. Once I get a working tach, I'll be in good shape. By the way, I found the tach instructions (actually cut the wires with tape still on them :) ), and the tach is hooked up correctly.

Went to caulk the bow seam last night and discovered my new tube of caulk was already cured. :angry:

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7462

Glastron_GT160 wrote:

Looks great Frank!

Given the size of your steering wheel, making it difficult to reach the dash underway, I'd probably choose to mount that large trim unit on the gunwhale just forward of the controls. Shown in white in the attached image, the locations which would make the most sense to me. For the reasons Mark said, I think that is the best spot.

I'd more likely choose a trim model that is mounted to the steering wheel itself (finger tip controls using left hand while still holding the wheel), but you asked for options without more dollar investment.

Can't wait to see your float test. Good luck!

Boy Chris, I hate to cut a big hole in the original glass of the boat to mount this switch if I'm going to get something better (steering wheel or throttle handle) later. I can't afford an alternative right now, so am going to have to figure a better way to mount this baby, then maybe next year get something to mount on the wheel.

Float test soon. Thanks!

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7468

frank, where did you find that black rubber gromett the control wires are running thru. i need one..no three. one for control wires and 2 for the steering cables.
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7473

Ron, Brian Lawson brought it over. He needed a couple for his big Power Cat and got one for me. I think he got it from Jamestown Distributors, but after searching through their website for 5 minutes, I can't figure out what it would be called, and as such can't seem to find it. Maybe it wasn't JD too, I just don't know.

Email him and ask.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7475

vuyosevich wrote:

frank, where did you find that black rubber gromett the control wires are running thru. i need one..no three. one for control wires and 2 for the steering cables.

Got it: www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9141&familyName=TH+Marine+Cable+Boot

Make sure you get the cable boot and the ring. I think they are two different things.

Frank

Trim control solution! 13 years 10 months ago #7484

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7497

I ordered that top of the shifter handle trim control (Amazon, 40 bucks including shipping), got the front bow seam caulked, running out of stuff to do!

New 3 blade 21 pitch prop came today too.

Frank

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7504

• MarkS

Look up control cable boots, Ron. They're available in 3" or 4" diameter in various styles from a couple different places. The better ones come with the ring, the cheaper ones without. The ring helps hold the boot down and looks better. You can see why in this link:
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/the-70-s-disco-fiber/1973-glastron-v178-starflite-project#7508
(The one on the port side looks fine, but the starboard side is needing the ring to keep it flat on the flange.)

I ordered that top of the shifter handle trim control (Amazon, 40 bucks including shipping), got the front bow seam caulked, running out of stuff to do!

New 3 blade 21 pitch prop came today too.

Sweet deal on the trim switch Frank! Beats that big box switch hands-down looks wise. I'll bet that 21P will make the PC SCOOT, can't wait for your test voyage.

Mark

Re:Progress on my Power Cat 14T 13 years 10 months ago #7507

Hey Mark!

I just noticed those boots I gave Ron the link for are made by the same folks (TH Marine) that make that trim switch I just ordered!

Really all I need to do is make some seat bases. Got started tonight, then the sun went down and I wanted to wash my pollen-laden truck and put it in the garage. Got a few things to sand and mount. Need to attach the fire extinguisher someplace. Need to make up my anchor rode. Need to torque a few things on the rams.

It's tough keeping going when you get up at 4:30, work an hour or so on the boat before getting ready for the office job, come home, change, work in 85 degree heat on the boat outside till I about drop. Of course, this weekend, when we 1st hope to get the boat out, it's gonna maybe be 70. Whatever!

Frank

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage